Friday, August 6, 2010

Willow Baby Nursery Knock Off


My sewing skills are slowly starting to improve with each little project I do. I have a neighbor that is expecting and she registered for items from the Willow line at Burlington Coat Factory. I thought I would test fate and try to make something along the same lines to add to her baby nursery. This is similar to what I came up with for her. I actually gave her the gift without taking a picture. So I went ahead and made the same basic thing for our school nurse that just had a baby. Her gift is what you are seeing in the photos.
It is a jumbo receiving blanket that measures in at a whopping 30 by 36 inches and a matching bib. The other gift also included a matching burp cloth. This project was super easy! I put together ivory and green material and added a brown border. I traced the deer shapes onto brown fabric that I ironed a bonding agent to the back of, and then cut them out with my redneck cricut (scissors) and ironed them onto the bib and blanket. I used cream flannel for the backing. I sewed the front and back with the right sides together, left an opening to turn, ironed and then topstitched the whole way around each item. Looks much harder that it actually is!
They seemed to be a hit at the baby shower. I bought my sewing machine less than a year ago and am slowly teaching myself to sew. It has been a long process, but I feel like I am finally starting to get the hang of this craft. Let me know what you think!




No comments:

Post a Comment