Sunday, February 24, 2013

Freezer (Bulk) Cooking Round 2






My oldest asked yesterday if I might make lasagne today.  I love lasgane, but really hate the work that goes with it, so I make them 3 at a time.  Sounds crazy, doesn't it?  Truth is, it takes about the same amount of time to make 3 as it does to make 1.
I started with about 3.5 lbs of ground beef and 2 diced onions which I browned (maybe even a little too much)! 









I added 6 jars of sauce and about 3 T of sugar.  I needed 27 noodles, but cooked a few extra in case some ripped beyond repair, which always seems to happen.








My family does really care for ricotta, but I think it is a necessary ingredient for lasagne, so we compromise.  I take one small container add some pepper, parmesan and thin it out with 4 eggs.  This one container batch is all I use for all 3 lasagnes total.




 I spray my pans with pam and start layering like so:
 
sauce, noodles, ricotta, mozzarella
sauce, noodles, ricotta, mozzarella
sauce, noodles, ricotta
sauce again, mozzarella
 
 
 
 
 
 

While the lasagne was baking, I made potato soup for tomorrow night.
5 lbs +/- peeled diced potatoes
3 -4 carrots
3 stalks celery
1 large box chicken stock
2 cans evaporated milk
pepper
chicken bouillon
1 diced onion
 
Cook until potatoes are slightly tender, you don't want them to turn to mush!  You can start it on a high temperature, but then turn it way down so the milk doesn't scald and stick to the pan.  It will ruin the whole batch with a burnt taste if that happens!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In the midst of all of this I cut some chicken breast into bite sized pieces and cooked to put in the freezer.  It is always good to have cooked chicken on hand.
 
I also cooked a second big package of gorund beef with onions in case I under estimated what I needed for lasagne.  I didn't need it, so off to the freezer it went too!
 
 
 
 
Here's a picture of what went into the freezer:
 
2 homemade lasagne
1 pkg of cooked chicken chunks (3 - 3.5 lbs)
1 pkg of cooked ground beef and onions (I don't remember if it was 3 or 4lbs)
 
This was done while cooking a 3rd lasagne for today and potato soup for tomorrow.
 
We spent January trying to use up what was in our freezer, so February is restocking time.


2 comments:

  1. Smart planning! I too make multiple lasagnas at a time; it's my go-to when I take a meal to a family in need as I can make one for them, one for us, and one to freeze all at once!

    Thanks for sharing your tips to smoother meal planning with us at A New Creation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right that it wouldn't take much longer to make 3! We love to make big meals with leftovers. Stopping by from Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop. Thanks for linking this up!
    www.carriethishome.com

    ReplyDelete